Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Catch Up

The Beginning
Originally Ryan and I were going to wait to start "trying" to get pregnant until sometime in the summer of 2011.  We wanted to take a trip to Switzerland this summer so thought it would be good to go pre-kids.  Well, one day in September or October (or somewhere around there) we were talking and Ryan said, "you know, I wouldn't mind if we started trying now."  So we discussed it more and decided to wait through December.  In February I was late.  Since I have never been late before, I took a pregnancy test the weekend I was supposed to start, but it was negative.  I took another one a day or two later, and it was still negative.  Ryan, however, was convinced I was pregnant.  I had a week where I felt very nauseous, but it kind of went away.  I was feeling pretty tired, but figured I just wasn't getting enough sleep.  I had my annual scheduled for the beginning of March, so I figured I'd just wait and see if I started and if I didn't, they could do the test.  Well, we all know the outcome of that...the test was positive!  A couple weeks later, just for the heck of it, I took another home pregnancy test (it came in a pack of 3 so it was ok) and it was positive.  Double proof!

The 1st Trimester
We told our immediate family the day we found out I was pregnant, but decided to wait to tell co-workers and friends until after our first meeting with the doctor.  I met with the OB Nurse a week or two after I found out I was pregnant and got A LOT of information.  It was kind of overwhelming.  A week after that we met with the first doctor.  I say the first doctor because you are put into a rotation to meet all the OB doctors.  Anyone of them could be the one delivering the baby.

I never got sick, but I was nauseous throughout my first couple months of being pregnant.  I lost about 5 pounds because I was living on pretzels and water.  I was also exhausted.  There were several nights when I was in bed before 8:30 p.m.  and if I wasn't in bed by then, I was dozing off on the couch.  I was surprised no one really said anything to me at work before I announced the news.  I had no energy, felt sick every day, and just wasn't myself.  Then, the day before our first doctors appointment, the day before we would tell everyone else, one of the attorneys asked if I was ok.  I said yes, I was just tired, and he said, "you're not knocked up are you?"  Well, I couldn't like and just said, "why couldn't you have waited one more day to ask me that?!?"

Heartbeat
I think most of you know the story, but I'll put it again.  Ryan and I went to the doctor in April, and it was time to hear the heartbeat.  I got weighed in as usual, and had lost a couple pounds.  Then the nurse came in, asked all my routine questions, took my blood pressure, and then it was time for the Doppler.  She tried to find the heartbeat for several minutes but couldn't.  Of course I'm getting a bit nervous.  Although there had really been no signs of miscarriage (i.e. blood) I still lost weight and no heartbeat.  She she went and got a second nurse for "fresh ears", but this nurse couldn't hear anything either.  Now I'm very nervous.  I didn't think I was going to cry, but Ryan said it looked like I was going to start bawling.  The nurse left to see if the ultrasound tech was available.  I'm glad Ryan was there to hold my hand and kind of calm me down!  Anyway, the ultrasound tech was available right then, so we went in, and got to see Baby.  It was amazing!  I did cry then.  We could actually see the little heart beating super fast, and then they were able to put on the sound.  I could see Baby's head and nose right away.  Reality really began sinking in right then.  So, although it was scary at first not to hear the heartbeat on the Doppler, it was almost a blessing in disguise because we got to see Baby....much better!  (I tried to post the pic, but it's scanned in PDF format and it won't let me upload it!)

Cravings
I wasn't really getting cravings in the beginning, but that's probably because I always felt sick.  Then, every now and again, I would want a donut or a sausage egg mcmuffin.  As time went on I started to have what I call "suggestional" cravings.  Someone would say something about a food or I'd see a food on TV and all of a sudden I would want it.  Unfortunately, this has happened with the taco bell double stuffed taco...a lot!  But I haven't given in to that one!  I gave into donuts by buying a bag of mini chocolate donuts, and I haven't craved them since.  So, every now and again, I will crave something (no, nothing odd), but really, certain foods just seem to taste so much better than they did before.  Right now I just started a chips and salsa kick.  They just taste so good!  On the flip side I have noticed some things I usually like not tasting good at all.  Cabbage and green peppers are two examples.  We got a supreme pizza one night and I had to pick off the green peppers because they tasted horrible to me.  For St. Patricks day I made corned beef and cabbage and I couldn't eat the cabbage because it was making me gag!  I hope I don't continue to find foods I used to like that I don't anymore.  I rather enjoy taking a bite of things and having them taste so much better than they did before!

Hormones
When I had my first OB nurse visit I was warned about hormones.  I was told I could watch a comedy and start bawling, or see someone trip and burst out laughing uncontrollably.  I've just started the second trimester and I think hormones are kicking in.  Nothing major, but I do find myself getting more impatient (especially driving) and irritable.  I also take things to heart more.  But there are good hormones too!  I was taking a walk yesterday and I saw a guy with his dog.  He was throwing a tennis ball and the dog was fetching it.  For some reason this just made me happy and made me smile.  I really like when I'm sitting here and just feel happy and satisfied and start to smile for no reason.  Better than being a bitch!   Although when I come home and complain to Ryan about random things he thinks it's funny because I'm usually calm and nice, and he thinks it's funny to see me get worked up and "be a bitch" and he puts it.  And I usually laugh at myself too...like darn pregnancy hormones, making me all crazy!  I guess that makes it ok if I can take it in stride and laugh and myself.

Finale
Ok, I guess that's it for now.  This is a novel already and I'm sure I've forgotten a slew of stuff.  If anyone has things they'd like to know along the way, let me know and I'll try to blog about it.  Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with this!

1 comment:

  1. YAY for baby Huber!!!!!

    I love this kid tons and tons already!!!

    We are so excited for you both, and I can't wait to read your blog about the baby!!!

    Love you both!

    ReplyDelete