Friday, August 17, 2012

A Huber Hodgepodge

Oh my goodness...it's been over 2 months since I've posted!  Well, we all know time flies.  Recently I've been thinking about various memories that I probably haven't posted...or if I have I have forgotten.  So I'm going to just do a big blog with past memories, current goings on, etc.  So, here we go!

Musings
* From newborn to about 4 months old Reid like to pee on us.  It was like a little game.  I'd keep his diaper pulled up until I was ready to put on the new one, and I'd get it just about pulled up, and away we go!  For a while in the beginning it seemed like I would go through two diapers during a change because he'd pee all over.  I think if we ever have another boy, I will need to buy a PeePee-TeePee!

* I keep thinking about the first time Reid really laughed.  He was about 3 months old and it was a Tuesday (I remember that because Ryan had a meeting).  I had to pick Reid up from daycare because of the meeting.  After he ate, I laid him on the ground and started playing peek-a-boo with him.  He just started cracking up every time I went "Peek-a-boo!"  Then Ryan came home.  He had had a long day and I said, Ryan come here, and I did it again.  And Reid lit up and started laughing.

* One of my favorite things is when Reid comes to me and when I pick him he snuggles his head on my shoulder...or when I'm holding him and he gives me a big hug.  Another favorite thing is his laugh.  It always makes me smile and laugh too.

* I packed up all of Reid's newborn - 6 month clothes.  It was kind of sad.  Those early outfits were so tiny!

* Reid has always hated a pacifier...he would never take one.  Then at about 8 months, he decided he wanted to suck on one, and now he loves them.

He's 9 Months?!?
Yes, my baby boy is 3/4 of a year old!  It has really flown by.  I have a memory book that I bought to keep for Reid, and every month you are supposed to write some memories or milestones.  When I try to do this, it's difficult because they all blur together!  There are so many things happening at once, and it hardly seems like any time has passed at all.  So when we're in month 9 and I'm supposed to be writing about month 8, it's hard to distinguish what happened when.  Hopefully this is normal, right?

Moving Along
Let's see...Reid is quite the mover and shaker.  He crawls really fast.  He loves to go for the cat's water dish, even though he's not supposed to.  He understands the word no, but usually he doesn't listen.  For example, he will crawl kind of slow to the water dish to gauge your reaction.  Then he'll make a dash for it.  You say "Reid, no" in a firm voice.  He will flip over to a sitting position, look at you, usually smile, and then flip back over and continue on to the water dish.  This also occurs when trying to open drawers, get pictures off the shelf, etc.  Reid is walking around furniture and other things really well while holding on.  I noticed that he liked to push the step stool around the kitchen while "walking" on his knees, so we decided to get him a push toy he could walk with.  I got a lion one at a consignment shop by our house, and Reid loves it!  He's also free-standing a lot now....standing without holding on to anything.  He will try to take a step, but falls right away.  I don't think it will be long now though.

Big Boy Car Seat
Reid has not quite outgrown his infant carrier, but he was getting close.  In my car, the carrier was kind of tilting side to side every time I went around a corner...I'm thinking because of his weight.  There was a big sale at Target in early July on Britax car seats.  They are known for being good and are usually expensive, but I got it for 50% off!  I took it out of the box and had it sitting next to Reid's infant carrier and got kind of sad.  His carrier seemed to little.  He seems to like the big seat though because he can see out the windows better.  Only con is he doesn't have any toys attached to play with like we did to the infant carrier, but he seems quite content looking out the windows and entertaining himself with squeals, laughs, and clapping.

Reid's First Vacation
We went on our very first trip with Reid to Indiana and Illinois.  First we drove to Indiana.  It took us about 12 hours.  We left on a Thursday after work so that Reid would sleep through most of the drive.  We went through our normal bedtime routine, and then instead of going in the crib, he went in the car.  He did wake up a few times through the drive, mostly when we stopped for gas, but would fall asleep right away again.  So all in all, it was a successful drive.  We got to Indiana really early...about 7 or 8 am, and there were no rooms ready at the hotel.  We had a lot of time to kill.  We went to Target and Kohls, we drove around Valparaiso University, we went to lunch at Culvers.  While at Culvers the hotel called to let us know the room was ready, which was nice.  We were checked in by noon.  Ryan and I were exhausted, having been up for 24 hours, but Reid was well rested and ready to go!  We just hung out in the hotel room until dinner.  We went to dinner at Kelsey's steakhouse with my brother, sister-in-law and nephew.  It was delicious.  Reid ended up falling asleep in the car on the way back to the hotel, so we just put him to bed.  My parents came down to stay with him while Ryan, my brother, sister, and brother-in-law went out to a bar called Passtimes (of course I went too).  Saturday was my niece's wedding, which was really nice.  Reid did well.  Ryan had to get up once with him when he started getting antsy, but all in all, he was a good boy.  He was also super adorable.  We got him a little sear sucker outfit....sear sucker shorts, sear sucker vest, short sleeve button shirt, and a little sear sucker bow tie.  Quite a handsome little boy :-)  On Sunday we went to a brunch for my niece and her husband, went to Gelsassimo's (however you spell it!) for pizza, and then ventured on to Illinois.  We spent about five days there, just relaxing.  We visited Grandpa Huber and Julie and Reid got to meet his Great Grandma Huber.  Pretty much we just relaxed and visited with family.  We headed back to Illinois on Friday evening...same plan as when we started to Indiana.  This time, though, Reid didn't want to go right to sleep and cried for a ways.  We stopped at a gas station and got him out for a little bit, and then he was fine.  Overall, the trip went very well and we had a good time.

9 Month Well Visit
Reid had his 9 month well visit when we got back from our trip.  He weighed in at 17 lbs 6 oz, 27.5 inches long.  He's staying steady in the 25% for weight and 50% for height.  I guess he's a little on the smallish side compared to some babies, but he's growing steadily so the doctor is not a all concerned.  At the visit Reid showed Dr. Poth how he could free stand (stand without holding on to anything).  Dr. Poth was impressed and said that he thought Reid would be walking before his 1st birthday.  He said that most babies at 9 months are crawling and pulling themselves up, but not many do freestanding....so now we're just waiting to see when he'll actually take his first steps.  He's getting close.  He is standing on his own for longer periods of time, and he will try to take a step, but then fall down right away.  But he's trying.  They said at daycare that he took a couple teeny tiny steps before he fell...probably more like a little shuffle before he fell.

Miscellaneous
Reid likes to play in the cat water dish.  He knows he's not supposed to, but every day he tries to make his way over there.  When we got home from vacation, Reid was quite so I went to see what he was up to (I was putting things away in the kitchen) only to find him by the cat food dish...and he had eaten a piece!  Yuck! 

Well, that's all I can think of for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment